TwitterFacebookTumblrPinterestLinkedInGoogle PlusRSS

Based in Australia, photographing people around the world.. Australia, North America, Asia....

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Karmen + Justin - Peel Manor Wedding Photography by Sky Simone


Karmen + Justin were married last Sunday at Peel Manor.
They presented me with a challenge.. A challenge that I wasn't sure how big or small it would be until the day began rolling. Karmen + Justins photographer had cancelled on them only a couple of months before their wedding, leaving them unable to find somebody else. Karmen and Justin had booked me for videography, which they'd prioritized, and has asked me if I could do the photography as well. Because I treat my work as my own 'art'.. I work alone, without an assistant. I do either video or photography, but not both at the one wedding. Karmen had asked if I could just do the formal photos and family portraits between the ceremony and reception as they were unable to find another photographer so late in the game.. I was happy to do this.

That meant making sure I had not only my videography equipment with me, but my photography gear as well.. I had a think about 'If I were to take just 20 'story telling' images along the day.. which images would tell the most or best of the story!
I figured with this approach, no matter how tight the timings of the day ran, it would allow me to get them enough photos to cover the day, without having the excess that you would have with a designated photographer.
The day actually went much more smoothly than I anticipated.
For those who don't know, I actually shoot wedding videos with 2 camera, but on my own.
That means I am responsible for doing everything. Both angles, the sound, batteries etc..
A couple of days  before a wedding I always call my couples and let them know what time I'll arrive at the boys, and what time I'll arrive at the girls..
I need to be at the ceremony early enough to set up both cameras, mic up the groom, and anticipate the brides arrival while getting all of the candid video shots of the ambiance and guests arriving.

Because I was doing both jobs by myself (no assistant) it meant not retaking shots because somebody else walked into them.. (Normal part of any wedding), and having 100% creative control. The main challenge I faced was flash card usage.. as I was using my cards for both video and photography, but in my mind I had visualized all kinds of potential chaos, the morning was pouring with rain.. and I had to remind myself "If the bride is in a panic because of the rain.. it's up to me to calm her down"...
But once I arrived at Karmens in the morning.. I realized 'Ok.. you're doing both jobs.. but you aren't competing for time with anyone else.. Nobody else is giving the bride a different timing schedule' and I was surprised at how relaxed it all was.

Karmen looked amazing.. and Justin.. Woah! I just love how the boys suits say "musicians". I get inspired by album covers, and music posters.. and Karmen and Justin had a real 'rock'n'roll' feel to me!

So here are my very favourite photos of the day.. and the ones that I feel tell most of the story! I'll be editing the video in a couple of weeks time, but you can see their engagement video shoot from September earlier on the blog.

Talk soon guys!
Here is the stop motion animation from all the photographs I took at Karmen and Justins wedding!












1 comment: